After trying all sorts of tasty jackfruit dishes at various gatherings, fairs and meets I had to try making it home- as a mexican-inspired BBQ pulled jackfruit taco / fajitas. This one is always a party pleaser, including the meat eaters who love it and “can’t believe it’s vegan!” A definite winner, and gateway dish 🙂 So here’s the recipe to make it yourself…
I used a number of online recipes to help, and also added my own spin. The great thing is you can chop & change ingredients and add your own favourite seasonings and sauces, to create different tastes and styles.
WHAT YOU NEED – ingredients (serves 4-6 people)
- 2 cans jackfruit (in brine NOT syrup)
- 1½ tsp liquid smoke
- half cup BBQ sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 2 mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup of vegetable broth / bouillon powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp spice
- 1 cup hot filtered water
Firstly you need unripened canned jackfruit (in brine or water! Make sure you don’t get the in syrup kind as this will not work in the savoury dishes). Tins are available online, from asian grocery shops, or found in the world aisle at some supermarkets. Also you need your favourite free-from barbeque sauce (I’m using the one from Tesco’s Free-from range here), and the secret weapon = liquid smoke. This is a seasoning juice that adds a real authentic smokey barbeque flavour to any dish. So...
- Pre heat your oven to around 200 degrees celsius (gas mark 5/6).
- Drain the jackfruit, and “pull it” by tearing the fruit into nice shreds. (remove any seeds that might be in there).
- Start by sautéing your diced onion, chilli, mushrooms (any veg you like) in coconut oil over medium heat for about 6 minutes, then add the chopped garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add the jackfruit and spices, and a dash and a half of liquid smoke (even a drop of maple syrup if you like the sweetness!). Stir everything until the jackfruit is evenly covered.
- Add the vegetable broth, and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the liquid is nearly absorbed (see pic).
- Next spread it all out on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for about 15 minutes. Then take out from oven and completely cover with the BBQ sauce.
- Return to the oven and cook again for another 10-15 minutes until it’s look good!
- Tuck in! Serve with corn tortillas and your favourite sides – *note* cheezy nachos are missing from my pic 🙂
Serve on corn tortillas, with avocado, lemon, beetroot, and chard. Enjoy!This is how you make pulled jackfruit epic #vegan #tacos! Click To Tweet
Let us know how you like it, and tag us in your photos @veopolis #recipe on twitter, instagram, facebook!